Thursday, April 19, 2007

Contractor Central

The buyer sent an inspector out Tuesday and despite our agent's attempts to hide the sticky patio door and loose handle, it was noted on the report. He also noted the lack of a carbon monoxide detector (which we have bought but not yet installed), the non-Code furnace connection and a missing PVC drain on the water heater. He also saw the little red ants that have been plaguing the building for several years.

I scheduled an exterminator for the ants. I still need to call a plumber for the water heater (and to tighten the kitchen faucet). I also have a couple of contractors scheduled to come out and make an estimate to fix the patio door. All this in addition to the chimney inspector and HVAC guy I had already called. All minor problems but they add up. I spoke to our agent and he said don't worry too much about getting everything done. It's routine negotiations. He also reminded us that the buyer wants our place as much as we want to sell it. (I thought to myself, "That doesn't seem possible").

On that point, I hired an attorney to handle the sale for us. I had planned on doing it myself but with the closing scheduled for May 11, I just won't have time to stay on top of everything well enough in addition to the fact that I want everything to go smoothly and although I did Kerry's condo closing seemingly without a hitch, I felt it would be in both our interests to pay to have it done by a third party. So I hired my boss's former associate to handle it. He has done over 1,000 closings (his mom is a real estate agent) and he has done a number of condo closings in our complex.

So, hopefully, the negotiations will go well and things will get done in a timely fashion.

No comments: