Friday, May 11, 2007

Closed!

The closing on the condo went about a smoothly as cold have been imagined. I signed my name here and there. Signed for Kerry as her "attorney-in-fact" pursuant to a Power of Attorney. The buyer, a young guy of around 20 named "Mark", showed up with his mother. He didn't seem to be much of an intellect. I think his parents gave him his earnest money just to get him out of their house. Seems they had been making him do his own laundry of late since his purple polo shirt was all bleached around the collar and sleeves.

As usual, I was the first to arrive about 10 minutes early. Then the buyer's attorney and then my attorney, Zack. The buyer was the last to arrive. As he was arriving, I was stepping out to get a bite to eat at the Jewel deli next door. When I got back the buyer and his attorney were going over the paperwork with the buyer grunting faux understanding of what was being said.


I gave the attorney the receipts for the exterminator, chimney inspection and furnace re-pipe. She didn't ask about the loose faucet or water heater release valve. And, I kept my yap shut.

Zack and I went over the settlement statement and I realized that the home equity line that I had taken to put the earnest money down on the new house wasn't included. I kept my mouth shut because if I had said anything, it would have sent the whole closing into a tizzy. New papers would have to be drawn, the lenders would have to be called, a pay-off statement from the equity lender would have to be obtained. The one hour closing would have probably taken six.

So, I looked at the settlement statement, said, "Looks good" and signed off. Of course, I'll have to pay off the equity line with the extra proceeds from the closing and then close the line since I did sign an "Affidavit of Title" warranting that I was giving the buyer title clear of any encumberances. I can do that on Monday.

So, I took my check and deposited it straight away and went back to the apartment to get Kerry who had been working and meeting the cable installer. We then ran off to Claim Jumpers restaurant for dinner. (It's actually a nicer place than it's name might imply).

So our life at Four Lakes of Lisle is over. I have refrained from naming the complex in previous blogs to avoid possibly having a computer savvy buyer "google" Four Lakes and find a bunch of my articles bashing the place. But now, to hell with it. While I have lots of great memories of my time there such as my proposal to Kerry, years with Peanuts and Westley and many great friends, it was time to move on. And the equity from the condo has helped us get the new house so I definitely can't say it was all bad.

Fortunately, with the quick closing, we avoid the ongoing parking problems and the parking structure construction project that is planned for June next door to the condo. That would have made a much more difficult sale. But that's all of the past. Time to look to the future.

No comments: